Sunday, February 13, 2011

it was RM960.00 and a few cents. I cannot remember exactly the amount of my first pay cheque way back in 1981. Every Ringgit and cent was handed over to my mother. And that was on the advice of my husband. He was the one who suggested and insisted I do that. I did it because he said I should. There were many thoughts on my mind. I thought this is what every son or daughter should do as a show of gratitude to their parents, for all their sacrifices and hardship in raising their children.

Well in my case it is so so true cos my father was the sole bread winner in the family. To raise 9 children at every age and stage in their education is one tough job especially if stationed in big city KL.I don't know how he coped but it must have been hard.

But back then, these things never crossed my mind cos I was too caught up in my own thing, my studies and all. I received an education loan throughout my four year stint at the university, so as far as money goes, I hardly ask for extras from my late father. In fact there were times my extra after settling my tuition and exam fees, I would hand them to my mother. I did that because I thought I should .

So, when my son gave me his first pay cheque,I was lost for words. I didn't expect that from him cos he is actually doing his intern ship. But I was transported back in time to that moment when I handed my first pay to my mum. My mother didn't say anything at all.So did I to my son. I didn't say much too to my son. Just thank you.

But having said that, to my first two who are already earning their own money, don't feel bad that you have not done so. It is not the norm. With commitments and all, not everyone can afford to do so. I suppose back then, I was already married, so a one month's pay , to my husband , was okay.

But whatever it was, thinking back,it is not so much about whether you give your whole salary or part of it. Neither it is ever a payback time .So, a monthly token of whatever amount is affordable is okay, as long as its from the heart.

There is a practise among us Malays. Its called ambil berkatt. That you will be blessed with good tidings in your journey through life if you seek the blessings from your loved ones through your deeds, however small that gesture is.And giving a token of your hard earned income amongst us Asians is an expected gesture.


2 comments:

  1. awww...now i feel bad... ):

    takpe mom, i'm doing what i am now so that I could give back for all ur sacrifices .. especially back when i was back in asrama...kek ice cream laa,,,laundry laa,,,adoii....ingat balik..i feel so bad..hahaha...luv u mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no intention of hurting anyone. I just wanted to pen my thoughts while I still can. Love you too.

    ReplyDelete

 27.5.2025 Changing my ecosystem at this late age is most stressful indeed! Having to learn new tricks, new ways of maneuvering through the ...