Everyday is a good day
Those Apple people have been diligently tracking my time spent online. A very detail breakdown indeed on the hours spent. I must confess I am putting in a lot of extra hours browsing the net. I suppose in these troubled times, I am not alone. I am sure that many out there are on the same page as me!
And actually if one is able to capture a particular website, there is so much information sharing! Amongst my favourites are those that dwell in religious affairs ( the translation and especially the tafseer of the Holy Book), stories shared on the fb of people who would go the extra mile to take in stray animals to be fostered and cared for until these animals find their permanent homes. Another website that never fails to be a tear jerker to me is that one of the most compassionate judge who deals with traffic offences from people struggling to make ends meet . These are ordinary people who upon opening up to the judge will always have a story to share and there are several episodes that I would repeatedly watch and these never fails to renew the same intensity of emotions. Of course with the exception of the few who came in with an attitude which the judge could smell a mile awhile!
Yesterday, while browsing I stumbled upon a blog that shared tips on things to do to survive the pandemics. I thought it was most interesting indeed. So I have decided to go through her 40 things to do and do a checklist on my current status of the items listed. I must confess that with the exception of a few I do have my fingers in almost all of the items
So here’s my current status :
40 things to do while staying at home, social distancing and staying positive during the pandemics . Credit to TheSoccermomBlog.com
1 | Read a book | / | Mostly read virtual book, not the hardcopy type! |
2 | Call a friend | / | Called a few times but mostly text messaging. |
3 | Exercise more | / | Minimum of 3 times a week at the local park . 3.75 Km each time |
4 | Connect with spouse | / | Yeah! But sometimes need that my space time ! |
5 | Virtual Girl’s night | x | I hit the sack very early in the night. So none at all ! |
6 | Learn a language | x | Tried to, but short term memory faculty is failing me. |
7 | Family dinner | / | More of family breakfast and lunch. Dinner is very individual because we try to keep the stomach light before hitting the sack. |
8 | Journal | / | Oh yes. I found an excellent app that helps me to pen my daily thoughts, emotions, happenings etc. Wouldn’t trade it. |
9 | Spring clean | / | Very seasonal. Depends very much on my energy level of the day. |
10 | Declutter | / | I have thrown out a lot of stuffs, donated the ones that are still good to use and wear. Yours truly not very happy I have reorganise his tool box. All in one stop centre now! There is still a lot more. I am digitising my files and documents and throwing out the hardcopies. |
11 | Plant a garden | / | Got myself a herbs garden. Tried the hydroponics method too but not all the seeds are germinating well. |
12 | Cook dinner | x/ | There are lazy days when we order food online. Supporting the local sellers, I ‘d reckon. |
13 | Fix things | x | This domain best left to yours truly to do. He is the expert! |
14 | I on time with kids | / | Facetime with son no 2 in the UK almost on a daily basis! Daughter no2 shares her daily episode at work while mom gives her thoughts and advice on tricky situation.! Daughter no1 and son no1 video calls and drop in with the grandchildren whenever possible .Son No1 bought a mobile pool. The kids enjoyed the recent weekend. |
15 | Balance budget | / | Oh yes. I now record and update every expenditure in my notebook. The last time I ever did this was when I was a carefree stay at home mum in 1986-1991 ( in the UK , while husband pursued his PhD) |
16 | Start a side hustle | / | Activated my blog once again. |
17 | Movie night | x | My other half is a permanent hoarder of the idiot box almost every nights. |
18 | Family game night | x | - |
19 | Write a letter | / | Oh yes. Personal ones to my children on their birthdays this year , from July onwards. |
20 | Read the holy book | / | Brushing up on my pronunciation. But most importantly understanding the tafseer! |
21 | Arts and craft | x | - |
22 | Mani/Pedi | / | DIY |
23 | Take a bath | / | Mandatory in the tropics! Averaging 3 times a day! |
24 | Skype with family | / | Video calls. But mostly text messaging on the family chat room. |
25 | Sing karaoke | / | Oh yes. Bought online a karaoke box quite recently. Most destressing indeed! |
26 | Do a puzzle | / | Love those word games apps. Very addictive. At one time I was place the top scorer in the word crush! After a while the words used became quite predictable. |
27 | Family scrapbook | / | I have done the family roots . But I still have a few articles to share online. |
28 | Dress up | x | No where fancy to go. Very comfortable in my T shirt and the Uniqlo pinafore. Got myself a few pieces in a few colours. |
29 | Dance party | x | Big sis was here last weekend. We danced while karaokeing! |
30 | Learn new skill | Tried making my own bagels. But they turned out hard and tough. So baking shelved temporarily. | |
31 | Finish laundry | / | Almost every other day. |
32 | Write a book | / | Blogging my memoirs. From children to career. While the long term memory faculty is still intact. |
33 | New TV series | / | Managed to watch a few. But not too keen on the too many episodes series. Don’t have the patience to sit it out. |
34 | Paint | / | Repainting the front gate. I am itching to start on the walls in the living room but cannot bear the idea of the preparatory work. The moving of furniture etc. So KIV |
35 | Rearrange furniture | / | Oh yes many times. |
36 | Build a fort | x | Too old for that activity. But converted the small room downstairs into my permanent den. |
37 | Go for a walk | / | On days we are unable to walk at the local park, we would walk around the field turned recreation park turned mini zoo in front of our house. About 180 m in circumference |
38 | Celebrate holidays | / | Every day is a holiday for me, the retired government servant. |
39 | Colouring | x | Tried one colouring apps but interest not sustained. |
40 | Baking | x | Need to find the mood for that. In the meanwhile I am happy with just ordering online. My sis bakes the best and most delicious pies. |
So, that’s it folks. The checklist is done. Not on the checklist is the hospital visits. Since the beginning of the pandemics, I have made about 10 trips , that is averaging 2 trips per month!
Lesson learned:
When you can’t control what’s happening, challenge yourself to control the way you are responding, to what’s happening. That’s where the power is !
Stay safe, stay positive, stay healthy!
No comments:
Post a Comment