3.4.2021
My student Isaiah Jacobs
This is about my student Isaiah Jacobs. He was my student way back in the early 1980s. My first posting soon after I graduated was at a school in the Batu area (April 1981- December 1981) I requested for a transfer closer to home (in the Brickfields area). I reported for duty in my second school in January 1982. I was assigned to teach the form three science classes. Throughout my entire career as a teacher, I have always had this bond with groups of students, those whom I taught and also those whom I knew outside the classrooms. To the extent that I would take them to trips during the weekends. I remember one particular time a small of them (all girls) came with my children and husband to the Mimalands, a recreation centre in the Gombak area. It has since closed down.
But I don’t remember taking Isaiah on any of those trips. What I remember he would walk all the way from his home which was next to the school to my home which was about 6 km from school. Isaiah is not a normal student. He is physically impaired due to polio. His left leg was amputated from the knee downwards. So just imagine, the struggle that he had to go through to get to my home. And he would arrive, just to have a chit chat with teacher. Also, then, the VCR was just introduced in Malaysia. And he would stay to watch whatever movie that I had in my collection.
In 1986, November I left for England on a 4- year unpaid leave, my husband was pursuing his PhD in the Durham, North East England. I lost touch with all of my students.
Upon my return to Malaysia, I was placed to teach in an established school in Kl. By then, I was sure most of students that I taught, including Isaiah have left school, to pursue in their respective fields and interest.
One day, while teaching, someone appeared at the door of the classroom. And it was Isaiah! I had no idea how he managed to track me. But there he was, looking pleased to see me. As soon as I finished teaching, we sat down in the biology lab. He came to tell me he was going to India to have a major operation on his amputated leg. I cannot recall the actual operation. He came to ask for my blessings that his operation will be successful. I was a bit upset because I didn’t much cash on me. So, I gave him whatever I had and wished him well.
Unfortunately, he came back a few weeks after that without going through the operation. It was something to do with the conditions in that particular hospital. On top of that it was quite a shock for him to discover that the situation in India wasn’t what he anticipated to be.
And we lost touch once again. But come April 1, somehow, he will be on the phone to send his good wishes and sometimes a bouquet of flowers would be delivered with a card attached and this ritual to remain an annual affair without fail. Of course, not forgetting every Eid celebration as well.
Isaiah soon became active member of a political party. He was actively campaigning for his party during the recent election.
Just a few days ago, on the 1.4.2021, I heard a beep on the phone. And true enough it was about 7 am and he had messaged his wishes to me, the first to have done so. I thanked him and I thought that was the end of the communication until maybe the next coming Eid celebration. But at 10 am I received an unexpected visit from him with a beautiful bouquet of yellow roses! He remembers I loved yellow roses. We talked for a while. He updated me on his latest involvement. He was recently elected as the President of the Disabled People of Malaysia. If things go as planned, he will be running as candidate for the soon to come general election. Well good luck Isaiah! I wish you all the best in your latest mission to uplift the living standards of the disabled in this beloved country of ours.
You have come a long way, Isiah. I know you are true blue fighter. Look at everything you’ve overcome and become! I salute you! And I wish you well!

No comments:
Post a Comment