20.6.2021
The self diagnose
Lately, it has been happening at an increased rate, quite frequent. Just as soon as I stepped out from the bathroom, I couldn’t recall whether I have done my ablution . My mind kept casting doubts as to whether I have washed myself / done the wuduk in order to perform my prayers. Then its always back to the washroom once again to repeat the ritual.
Auzubillah Minashaitan Nirajeem (أَعُوذُ بِاللَّهِ مِنَ الشَّيْطَانِ الرَّجِيمِ). “I Seek Refuge with Allah from the Accursed Shaitan”.
Is it because my mind was so preoccupied that I do things automatically. Only then to question myself whether I have done or not?
Am at the stage where the short term memory is now slowly eroding? Short -term memory loss on my plate? The common term – forgetful ?
It is a fact acknowledged by the medical profession that short term memory loss is a normal part of getting old for many people. But it can also be a sign of a deeper problem, such as dementia, a brain injury, or a mental health issue
It is said that when a person experiences short-term memory loss, he or she can remember incidents from 20 years ago but is fuzzy on the details of things that happened 20 minutes prior. Well this so true in me.
And I can recall now that my late mother in her later years before she passed on, used to relate to us her childhood memories , of things she had done and so forth. But the next thing, we would all be tearing the whole house down looking for her misplaced pair of glasses which she could not recall at all. Later in the years she became quite delusional in that she would be telling us some one is at the door to see her. That a particular person is coming to see her . And every time she said that we would be brushing it off. Initially we were quite concern over this issue. But after a while it became a routine that we accepted it as part of her new self. My late mother was diagnosed with dementia. I think she was given some medication to slow down her from further deterioration .
It is a fact that different parts of the brain handle the different stages of memory. Short-term memory primarily takes place in the frontal lobe of the cerebral cortex. Then the information makes a stopover in the hippocampus. A 2014 study published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences found that a small number of neurons in the hippocampus may hold the memories of recent events. Exposure to a particular face becomes linked to these neurons, which fire when the memory is recalled. The memories are then transferred to the areas of the cerebral cortex involved in language and perception for permanent storage. Sounds complex is it?
A diagram of a cross-section of the human brain.
The long term remedy ( medical approach )
An article that I read online mentioned that when testing for any type of memory loss, a doctor will take a medical history and perhaps ask a few questions to test a patient's memory.
Other exams may include cognitive testing to check the patient's mental status and ability to think. The doctor may also order blood tests to check for various conditions including vitamin B-12 deficiency and thyroid disease.
Depending on the results, other tests may include an MRI or CT scan of the head and an EEG to measure electrical activity in the brain. A cerebral angiography may also be ordered to examine blood flow to the brain.
If the cause of the short-term memory is related to a psychological trauma, a therapist or psychologist may be consulted.
The do it at home remedy (The brain game)
One of the most common suggestions for a better short-term memory is to use mnemonics.
A mnemonic is a tool that helps us remember certain facts or large amounts of information.They can come in the form of a song, rhyme, acronym, image, phrase, or sentence. Mnemonics help us remember facts and are particularly useful when the order of things is important. There are many websites out there that give very good information on the various strategies used by using the mnemonics.
The brain game is one activity that I am currently immersed in. There are many word games in the Apple store ranging from simple to very complex level. I find it most challenging to do the word formation and also to help me brush up on my spelling . I find doing the Sudoku is quite a stressful activity. It requires deep concentration. I get stressed out easily if I do not get the thing right.
It is interesting to note on the early symptoms of dementia:
- memory problems, particularly remembering recent events.
- increasing confusion.
- reduced concentration.
- personality or behaviour changes.
- apathy and withdrawal or depression.
- loss of ability to do everyday tasks.
Should I be concern?
I found this website that has a self-assessment questionnaire/ quiz for people who is concern about memory loss. It is a 10 questions assessment that relate to life experiences common among people who have been diagnosed with dementia, a neurocognitive disorder, and are based on criteria in the DSM-5 (OCD).
How Accurate Is It?
This quiz is NOT a diagnostic tool. Mental health disorders can only be diagnosed by licensed healthcare professionals.
This website believes assessments can be a valuable first step toward getting treatment. All too often people stop short of seeking help out of fear their concerns aren’t legitimate or severe enough to warrant professional intervention.
So, Where do I stand based on these simple questions?
1.Do you ever forget information that you have learned recently?
o Never
o Rarely
o Sometimes
o Often
o Very Often
2.Do you have to ask for the same information again or need reminder notes?
o Never
o Rarely
o Sometimes
o Often
o Very Often
3.Do you have trouble following instructions, like a recipe or directions?
o Never
o Rarely
o Sometimes
o Often
o Very Often
4.Do you struggle to keep track of finances or pay bills on time?
o Never
o Rarely
o Sometimes
o Often
o Very Often
5.Do you experience visual problems, such as trouble with reading or judging distance or colour?
o Never
o Rarely
o Sometimes
o Often
o Very Often
6.Do you find yourself becoming confused in the middle of a conversation and having to stop?
o Never
o Rarely
o Sometimes
o Often
o Very Often
7.Do you struggle to remember words, dates, or events?
o Never
o Rarely
o Sometimes
o Often
o Very Often
8.Do you lose things and/or sense that people have stolen them?
o Never
o Rarely
o Sometimes
o Often
o Very Often
9.Do you struggle to remember to keep yourself clean or practice good hygiene?
o Never
o Rarely
o Sometimes
o Often
o Very Often
10.Have you or others noticed changes in your personality, such as becoming easily upset or anxious?
o Never
o Rarely
o Sometimes
o Often
o Very Often
(https://www.psycom.net/dementia-test/)
My results:
4 /10 – often
6/10 never to rarely
So am I being paranoid for nothing ?

No comments:
Post a Comment