My Journey ( Part Two)1. My school years
My late father, worked at the Department of Information, a subdivision of the Ministry of Information. This is the department that is responsible for disseminating information on government policies etc. I think because of the nature of his work, he was posted to as and when his services were required from him. He was the State Director of the Information Department of Kuala Terengganu, Johor, Perak and the last post held before his retirement was as the Director of the Ministry of Information in Kuala Lumpur. His movements meant movements and change of schools for his children too. In fact, I attended 3 different schools for my primary schooling. From standard one (1964) to Standard 6 (January 1968) I attended school in Kuala Terengganu, then moved school to Johore Baru (February to May 1968, standard 6) and back to Petaling Jaya to complete the remaining months of my standard six (6.5.1968- 6.12.1968)
In 1969 I enrolled at SM Assunta until Form 4 (1972). In 1973 my father was assigned to Ipoh, Perak. Here, I completed my Form 5 at the Methodist Girls’s school where I sat for my Malaysian Certificate of Education. Then, once again it was back to Kuala Lumpur. I attended Convent Bukit Nanas for the next 2 years. I sat for My Higher Certificate of Education in 1975.
I think because of the constant moving and changing of schools, I did not have friends that I can consider close or best friends. Only in Kuala Terengganu, there was Faridah Mohammad. She was my neighbor since 1964 until 1968. In Ipoh, I was close to Fathiyah (I think that was her name) but soon after that we lost contact. I have however reconnected with my form six friends, thanks to the Facebook apps.
On one of my visits to Kuala Terengganu, I wrote my experience on my IG account. Here is a copy of the postings dated 21.10.2019:
Pada kali ini sebelum balik, rasa terpanggil panggil untuk singgah ke Sekolah Rendah Sultan Sulaiman 1. 1964- 1968. 51 tahun dahulu!! 😁😁 Tahniah kpd barisan pentadbir! Sudah dalam kategori Sekolah berprestasi tinggi 👏🏻👊🏻.
Banyak perubahan, dulu hanya ada 2 block bangunan utk bilik darjah. Masa darjah 1 & 3 ditempatkan dibangunan belakang. Bangunan depan untuk murid murid darjah 3- 6. Cantik kantin. Tempat yang paling digeruni satu ketika dahulu adalah tandas! Gelap gelita, sangat asas. Laa ni nampak bersih dan cerah ceria! Padang sekolah masih sama, ada bahagian yang nampak lusuh & botak. Bahagian padang terdekat dengan bangunan baharu sekolah dah dijadikan tempat parkir🚗🚙 cikgu. Kalau lama sikit diberi masa, naklah juga pergi menyapa pihak pengurusan. tapi janji dgn che abang driver sekejap aje.
Pak guard 👮🏽♂️sporting tolong pukul gambar.
1964-1968. 5 tahun mendapat didikan asas disini .5 tahun tetapi darjah 1- darjah 6 jugak! Sebab saya dapat masuk kelas eskpress . 1/2 tahun darjah 2 dan 1/2 tahun darjah 3. 2x sampailah 6x! 5 tahun ....my foundation years was nurtured by truly dedicated teachers. Yang paling dingati ialah Pn Mariah, guru kelas darjah 5 &6 dan juga mengajar BI. Kamus Oxford adalah teman rapat kami. Nak belajar sebut🗣 ‘umbrella’, ‘photographer’ cara yang betul phoneticsnya bukakla kamus oxford. Nak tahu makna perkataan yang dipekenalkan oleh Pn Mariah, rujuklah Oxford dictionary.
Pn Mariahlah yang mengajar kami cursive writing✍🏽 📝. Buku menulis harus perpendicular to the writing table! Tak boleh sengit sengit! Tangan menulis tak boleh bersepah atas meja! Harus kepit dekat dengan badan! The writings will be individually checked 🔍by her. Kalau comot atau silap, zap❗️❗️One rap on the hand! 😔😥Hmm...Tapi tak ada pulak mak bapak pada zaman tu yang berduyun duyun datang serang sekolah! 😐
Yeah. displin was well instilled! Pelbagai incentives disediakan oleh pihak sekolah untuk mengalakkan good behaviour. Setiap minggu ada hadiah berupa buku exercise 📔diberikan kepada pelajar terbaik dari segi kebersihan dan tingkahlaku. This one boy, Hashim always always got that award!! Dimana kah agaknya dia sekarang🤔Dimana kah agaknya yang lain? Mesti semuanya sudah bersara dari kerja masing- masing. Minggu lepas terjumpa satu pagebook alumini skss di fb. Tapi nampak muka2 muda belaka laa😬 Perhaps I should just go in and say 👋I started school in Kuala Trengganu. My first experience of schooling was at the St Francis Kindergarten. I think I was six years old.
(a) Kindergarten to Primary school years (1964- 1968)
Picture 15: Me in the white dress, standing on the far left of the picture
In 1963 a year before I started my formal schooling, I attended a year of preschool at the St Francis Kindergarten in Kuala Trengganu. An English lady was the teacher. The kindergarten was housed in a big 2 storey bungalow. I don’t recall any formal learning like the present kindergarten. It was fun learning through play activities. What is the time Mr. Wolf taught us how to count? Here we go around the Mulberry Bush taught us the basics of keeping good hygiene.
In 1964 I was enrolled in Standard One at the Sultan Suleiman 1 Primary school. Mr. Chan was the headmaster. He was always dressed in white khaki shorts and white shirt. On the first day at school, I was sent by the late Wan Salim, one of father’s coworker. Father was always a busy government servant. Work at the office always took top priority. But it was no big deal that I was one of those few children who were not accompanied to school by their parents. Soon it was recess time. I was picked up by Wan Salim at around 10.30 am and went home. I had no idea it was just a temporary break time and that we were supposed to return to our classroom after that 10 minutes break! I don’t know whether the class teacher was even aware of one student missing from class!
Classroom activities? Dictations, spelling, memorizing the timetable, going for physical education in my panties. We had to remove our pinafore for PE classes. So, if one forgot to bring PE shorts, then its panties and blouse for you! Going to the toilets was always a scary experience because it was dark and not welcoming at all. So, I remember the first time we were introduced to the facilities, we were all lined up and then the teacher took us all, in twos to the toilet. I think those days they did have orientation week but not so itemized as present times.
My favorite time was recess time and after school. I got about 20 cents spending money. With that money I could buy one big keropok keping goreng with special homemade chili sauce spread on it. And after school there was one pakcik who sold one of the most delicious keropok lekor all for 10 cents a piece. His cart was stationed just outside of the school front gate. In those days, the keropok lekor was 90 % fish and 10% flour. You can taste the fish! I am not too sure they still sell that kind of authentic keropok lekor at present!
Pictures 16- 23 : Sultan Sulaiman Primary School revisited in 2018
Picture 25: Standard 4X with Mr Chan ( Class Teacher) 1965
Back in 1964 I was in standard one. In 1965 I was in standard 2X for the first six months of the year, the next 6 months I was promoted to Standard 3X. X means express , just like the accelerated class that was introduced about 15 years ago but it was later shelved due to many unavoidable reasons. I remained in the express class in 1966 (4X) but in 1967 and 1968 the term express was changed to standard 5A and 6A. In late October 2019, during my trip to Kuala Trengganu, I stopped by the school. The two main blocks are still intact with the same placement of classes like when I was there. I think the placement of classes are still the same for the standards 4 to 6 students. I noticed a new administrative block. The school field is still the same, maybe a-little bit bare of grasses due to the parking of cars at the fringe of the field.
SK Jalan Yahya Awal was the name of the school in Johor Baharu. That was the shortest schooling ever in a particular spot. I was in standard 6 at that school for about 3 months. I think I was too young to remember much, but arwah father requested to be transferred back to Kuala Lumpur. So, we moved back to Kuala Lumpur. Father rented a house in Jalan 3, in the old town area of Petaling Jaya. I was enrolled in Assunta Primary School from May to December 1968. Like the school in Johor Baharu, I have very vague memories of my school days in SK Assunta. The school culture was something new to me. Early morning assembly rituals like the Christian prayers were chanted. The teaching staff was a mixture of ordinary teachers as well as nuns. I did not have any special friends so most of the time I would be with my books even during recess time! And because of that I did well in tests. There was an entrance exam for all standard six pupils for entrance into the secondary school. Despite the short stay and also the constant change of schools in standard 6 (3 schools) I did well in all the subjects.
Picture 26: Munirah, one of my closest friends at SK Sulaiman 1, Kuala Terengganu. She gave a set of drawing paper as a farewell gift before I moved to Johor Bharu in 1968.
(B) The secondary school years (1969- 1973)
The end of year entrance that I sat in standard six at Assunta Primary School automatically qualifies me to move to its sister school. The first four years of secondary school was at SM Assunta, Petaling Jaya. From Form One to Form Four. Again, after Form Four, my father once again was transferred to another state. I completed my last year of secondary school at SM Methodist Girls’ School in Ipoh Perak. In SM Assunta I was in the Additional Science Class but when I moved to Ipoh, I was placed in a Pure Science, since there was no Additional Science class there. I had to go for an intensive additional Mathematics tuition to cover the form 4 syllabus, a subject which additional science student were not offered in SM Assunta! The other pure science subjects like Biology, Chemistry and Physics were also catch up subjects for me in form 5. Alhamdullilah. Cleared them all. But so so ajela.
At SM Assunta, I was placed in the second class out of the 6 form one classes. I think the labelling of classes was according the alphabets in the name FRNCIS. The Principal was Sister Enda, a Catholic nun from Ireland. The culture of prayers before school and after school was very much the order of the day. Here I learned about the strict rules imposed by the school authorities, brown skirts and white blouse was the school uniform. It was the duty of the school prefects to inspect the length of our skirts and our fingernails!! No skirt should exceed 2 inches above the knee! And they used the ruler to make precise measurement. And the fingernails should not be visible when the back of the hand is shown to these keepers of the school rules. Of course, not forgetting the hair, must be tied up if long and clipped back if with bangs. Only brown and white ribbons allowed. One has to abide by the school rules, otherwise its detention class, and names and detention slips will be given out by the school headmistress during assembly. And you just don’t just walk out in front of the whole school to receive the slip but will made to stand in circles after receiving the slips next to the headmistress who will then go on and on with the message of the day. Thank God never once did I ever get a detention slip or the DC slip as it was normally called.! Of course, not forgetting singing the school song with the head mistress leading the school! And we were proud to sing this school anthem especially during important events like the inter school netball game of which we were quite a fighter and gave other schools in the district a run for their money! And being a very established school, we were champions in many fields.
When I was in form three, I was selected to represent the school in the inter schools’ history quiz. Alas, we were not fortunate to win but managed second placing. Nevertheless, it was good exposure for me. In fact, I must admit my four years in this school actually laid the foundation of my later years, of my perception in life, how I relate to others of various races. I learned tolerance, to be mindful of others, to be charitable and above all the sense of discipline instilled not only by the head of schools but also by the teachers there. Oh yes, they were strict. My Domestic science teacher, I still can hear her voice, high pitch and loud “Unpick! Unpick’!! Oh yes, when the stitching of our apron that we will later use for our cooking class was not up to her liking. So of course, to avoid all these distractions, mother was obliged enough to stitch them for me. The following year I was over the moon when another Domestic Science teacher took over. She was strict but more tolerant of our shortcomings. With her I learned to do smocking using checked material which later we stitched the finished product into a little girl’s dress. And the best ones got selected to be put on display. Mine never got selected, not even once. I was never good with threads and needles. I know my limits…
I had a strict History teacher in form 2. During one time when we stood up to wish her, someone by mistake said out another teacher’s name by mistake, I think it was more than one person, but no one owned up, so she refused to come to our class until the person or persons apologized. It went on for week or so, came the second week, the class monitor with a few others approached her to offer a formal apology on behalf of the class which she reluctantly accepted and that was the end of the episode. How did she get away from not being in class for many periods! Was the management not aware of this?
Another equally no-nonsense teacher was our Physical education teacher who taught us gymnastics and tap dancing. We were so scared of her that as soon as the bell rang to indicate the end of the period before, we would scramble into our PJ outfit and would be in the school hall in 5 minutes flat, not a minute more. Otherwise be prepared for the scolding from her!! I learned to roll, to stretch, to walk on the bar etc. But there were times she switched to folk dancing that we practiced on the netball court. But she left the school before the year ends.
Civics class was with one of the nuns, a friendly lady, Civics with her was more of a singing class. She would bring in a tape player and would play songs which we would eventually sing along after listening to the songs several times over. And no complains, not from us. We loved the break.
The annual events I looked forward was the school head girl election day and the one weeklong charity week. The school head election was run like any election process, two three candidates stood for election, before that the usual rounds of campaign stickers banners and all, campaign speeches included. Then the real day where all of us had the chance to cast our ballot. And it was sheer joy when our favorite was elected. She was strict and she carried her responsibility to the letter T.And we met again in 1991 when I was placed in VI, after a 3 + years of unpaid leave.
Being a convent school, funds from the government were limited in amount. So, to make up for the amount needed, the charity week was an event very much looked forward by the girls. As early as before the week began, all sorts of events were already underway – guess the weight of the cake, guess the number of coins in a box, raffle draws for ten cents a try. There was an interclass competition for the most collected amount of money, the amounts displayed on the main board at the school’s main corridor. I can’t remember the prize for that, but I remember the excitement and anticipation of it all. And that was also the beginning of my love for the theatre. I put up a sketch for the class, based on the song by P. Ramlee - ‘Bunyi Guitar’, Sold tickets for entrance to the show, it was comedy, the class’s broomstick was my guitar. That was the start of more acting in more dramas, the stage was where I became a different person altogether. I was never an active student in class. Described as a quiet conscientious student in my school leaving certificate. All that changed as I was transformed into the character that I was portraying. At one time I was the evil sister of the family in one drama which I scripted. That was during my Form Five at SM Methodist Girls’ School in Ipoh. I supposed I played my part well because soon after the show was over and, in many days, to come, I would be getting looks from my juniors, not so nice remarks and all! And my interest for acting followed me through my varsity days. I was the only lady in the first play by Johan Jaffar ‘Angin Kering’. But if you asked me now what it was all about, I really have no idea!
And this animated personality stuck with me throughout my career when I conduct my classes and lectures as a teacher and later as lecturer in my last ten years of my career. Students and participants would always leave their comment- that they find me a most energetic person, very animated, one class where they find it most difficult to fall asleep!! The drama in me actually helped me in times of need, indeed!!
After my form five, I was offered a place to do sixth form at SM Convent Bukit Nanas. I was placed in a science stream. That was 2 tough years of slogging! The form six syllabus was said to be equivalent to first year’s university science syllabus. I must agree to that statement! In fact, during my first year at the university, the first year’s biology and chemistry syllabus was easy to tackle because it was like a revision time all over again! But one good take way from my experience in CBN was that I finally made a few close friends, whom I am still in touch, 45 years on. And of course, there were a lot of similarities between Convent Bukit Nanas and SM Assunta, both run by missionaries of the catholic denomination. The teaching and learning style at the form six class were more freestyle in approach. My Biology teacher’s style of theory lessons was just to open the big biology book (Can’t recall the name now) to read the passages of each chapter of the book and underline the important points. I don’t recall her giving us notes or assignments. Chemistry was interesting especially the practical classes because it was no longer group work like in the lower form but individual in nature. Mathematics was tough, maybe because I have never liked that subject. The subject Physics also was not a subject I would want to indulge in, if given a choice, because like mathematics I found it too abstract and complex. But at form six, we were expected to take all the four subjects. Yes, it was tough. And the results were a big disappointment. But those results were good enough for me to secure a place at the University of Malaya’s science faculty (1975-1981)
Picture 27: Form 2N2, SM Assunta 1971. With Mrs S Tan, our Form Teacher. |
Picture 28: Form 4 Additional Science 2. With Class Teacher. Miss Tan. She taught us English Literature, my favorite subject. She introduced us to the world of Shakespeare and also taught us the basics of writing a story. I wrote my first short story; a love story and she gave me a good review on that piece. I was ecstatic! |
Picture 29: My cocurricular activity. I joined the Girl Guide movement in SM Assunta. But unfortunately, I missed the installation ceremony because of some unforeseen family matters. After Form 3, I quit the movement and enrolled in the Karate Do class. I only managed to gain a yellow belt before once again moving school to another state.
Picture 30: This is a picture of Sister Enda, SM Assunta’s Principal. She was a good Principal. She was strict and yet she was kind in her ways. We all loved her. She would always be with us especially during inter school events like the netball inter school tournament. She would be literally standing right behind the netball post, leading us the whole school in cheering for the school team. And at the end of it all, we would all be singing the school song at the top of voices bursting with pride!! Picture 31 and 32: These photos was taken from the alumni’s collection. I am not too sure of how recent these photos are. But this the typical scenario for our school assembly. Notice the students will line outside the corridors of their respective classrooms and Sister Enda will be on the grounds of the two main blocks, looking up at us while talking. There is a big hall built next to the school field and was used from 1970 onwards. But during those days, the school only assembled in that hall on certain occasions only. When in form 2, our PE teacher, Mrs. Tan would conduct her gym classes in the hall, where we would roll, bend and stretched. I had the opportunity to go on stage on three occasions. Once as school representative for the Inter School History Quiz and on the second occasion in a fashion show (I think it was for a charity event) and I remember coming out in my culottes outfit dancing to the background music of Yellow River. The third time was for a miming act I did my Form Five was at SMK Methodist Girls’ School in Ipoh Perak in 1973. Despite it being an important examination year, I remained active in cocurricular activites. Every Friday the school would end at around 11 am. And from that time until around 12.30 pm, it was time for activiities in the school hall. And this was the time when a lot of oppurtunities for students to exhibit their natural talents in dancing, acting and singing. I performed twice on stage in a drama that I wrote and directed and acted. I was the evil of the three sisters. On another occasion I was nominated by my class to represent the class in a talent competition. I really cannot remember what it was but I still remember I was a nervous wreck! There was a slot that on Q&A and one of the teacher Mr Pillai quizzed me on something. I was quite nervous so I fumbled with my answers. Definitely a one off thing 3. My Teenage Years Turbulent years, lots of changes happening to oneself, hormonal changes leading to changes in physical development, affecting changes emotionally. Perception of self changes too. You start questioning yourself. All that a normal teenage person went through, I too went through all those stages but in those days, life revolved a lot around the family unit. I don’t remember venturing out on my own to places, to shopping or out with friends. The only time that I was out of the house outside of the school days was to go to the public swimming pool with friends. That too was on a few occasions only. Crushes? Oh yes! Lots. But not sustainable for any particular person actually. Puppy love they called it.
4.My University Days I was an average achiever ever since school days. Not in the top 5 or even the top 50 scholars amongst my course mates. But I worked hard to compensate the deficit. I entered university at the prescience level which was actually pre university. It was a one-year course. I think that was one of the initiatives of the government of the day to ensure Malay students and bumiputra students despite, being low achievers in the science streams at the form six level, were given a second chance to still pursue courses in the science field. I think it worked well with all of us who were admitted through this initiative. Many graduated with top honors, just as good as those that came in with excellent results. Of course, there was a lot of discontentment amongst the non-bumiputra students. We were accused of depriving them of their places in the university. In the early 1980s there were not many universities, government or public. Places were limited, especially in areas such as the medical field. But the number of universities spiked sometime in the 1990s onwards. I think it is now a thing of the past, that is, not given a place at any universities because Malaysian students are spoilt for choice! There are many public and private Universities all over the country. During my pre-U days I was required to do all the basic science subjects, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. Once these were cleared, at the first year we were streamed into degree in Science or Science with Education. I was offered to do the degree in Science with Education. For the first year I had to take 3 subjects. It was Biology, Chemistry and Geology. For the second year, I had to take two subjects, so I dropped Geology. The subject Education was introduced. During my third and final year, I concentrated on the subject Biology and Education. Biology was my major subject, that is I would soon graduate to be a science teacher majoring in Biology. I am glad I that was my chosen subject. It was much easier, the anatomy, the physiology and the genetics of both the animal and the plant world! In fact, I never failed to score top grade in genetics, my favorites of all the biology subcomponents. Overall, I valued my experience at the University. There were field trips for the subjects Biology and Geology. We did our practical at the UM Research Centre in Gombak, a place which I revisited with my students from my first school (1982-1986) that I was posted to after graduation. At the university, I learned how to study well. I had a friend who advised me to stick to my desk despite all odds. To sit down and last out for two hours or so. Never mind if nothing productive came out after that two hours. Eventually, it got to me and the hours stretched to longer hours. I learned to make notes, I learned to self-explain And I found that this method helped me a lot to understand the subject matter. It was no longer rote learning to me. For subjects like Chemistry in areas like Physical Chemistry I found it quite tough to comprehend. This was one subject that I had to re sit during the holidays to clear to the next year. Alhamdullilah. But that was the only time that I ever re sat for any paper. Never again! And those days UM was still into the end of the year examination. The semester system was introduced much later, after I graduated. So, it was cramming time during the months before November to December! The main exams were normally held during early November to December. And it was break until early June or July when the new session starts. For the final year, as soon as the exam finishes, we were sent to do our practical teaching. I had a partner (can’t remember her name). We did a five-week practical at SM Assunta, my alma mater. The lecturer in charge would come observe us and would leave remarks after each observation! I think I was observed for about 3 times. I was already about 4 months pregnant with my first child. I remember my students telling me not to do dissection on the fish for one practical lesson. They were afraid all the cutting will have effect on my unborn child! But that stint at my alma mater was too short a time for me to remember much. Of course, Sister Enda was no longer the school head, there were a lot of changes to the school. But what remain intact was the school culture and ethos. For the record, I entered University Malaya in 1975 and graduated in 1981 with second class (honours) in Science with Education. The two Best days of school. The First and the Last. Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory. We didn't realise we were making memories. we just knew we were having fun! |


















i thought you did dentistry. hmm, wonder where i got the info from.
ReplyDeleteHa ha. Cik gu cabut gigi budak !👍🤝😁
Delete